Brownies are high on the list of the most popular desserts, and it’s easy to see why. For some brownie aficionados, the gooey, fudgy middle is the best part of this treat, and they dive straight into that middle piece. For others, it’s the crispy edge that makes fudge brownies so irresistible.
Well, this article is for those who favor crisp brownie edges. If you have yet to try Brownie Brittle, prepare to be enlightened.
Keep reading to learn more about this delectable treat and find three easy recipes you can try immediately.
What Is Brownie Brittle?
If you haven’t heard of Brownie Brittle before, you may be surprised to hear that it isn’t just a sensational treat but that it’s a brand.
You know how many people consider the best part of the muffin to be the top, which led to solely muffin tops becoming a dessert? Brownie Brittle works off of a similar concept.
Brownie Brittle is a packaged treat that is just the crispy edge of fudge brownies. This treat was created by a passionate, chocolate-loving baker, Sheila G Mains, in 1992. Inspired by her treasured family recipe, Sheila always loved the crisp chocolate goodness of the brownie edges.
Sheila G would often eat the edges of the brownies at her bakery and described them as having the same rich chocolate goodness but with a fantastic cookie crunch. This led to her determination to figure out how to create an entire sheet pan of just brownie edges, which she now sells as Brownie Brittle snacks.
Today, there are a wide variety of sweet snack products to choose from in addition to regular Brittle, including:
- Chocolate chip brownie
- Salted caramel
- Caramel apple
- Toffee crunch
- Pumpkin spice blondie
Brownie Brittle sometimes has limited edition versions of their treats, with current offerings including Reese’s Pieces and Holiday Hot Chocolate. Better yet, they have health-conscious options for these sweet treats, including keto-friendly Brittle.
While these treats are a great joy to eat on their own, their rich brownie taste is versatile and can be used to create other desserts. Let’s look at the possible creations you can make with this awesome brittle.
Brownie Brittle Recipes
What’s better than Brownie Brittle? Brownie Brittle desserts! You can turn these brownie treats into various delicious desserts with a few extra ingredients and creativity.
For inspiration, here are three recipes that you can easily make at home to please brownie aficionados.
Brittle Ice Cream Sandwich
Sandwich a scoop of ice cream mixed with Brownie Brittle between two of your favorite cookies for a delicious chocolate indulgence and summer treat!
- 2 cookies of your choice
- ¼ cup of Brittle, crushed, flavor of your choice
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, or the flavor of your choice
- Optional sprinkles
- Take your Brittle crumbs and mix them into your ice cream.
- Scoop your ice cream mixture onto the back of one of your cookies.
- Top with the other cookie.
- If you have additional crushed Brittle, roll the sides of your ice cream sandwich along the crushed cookies.
- You can immediately enjoy your ice cream sandwich or put it in the freezer until ready to eat.
Want a more elaborate chocolate chip cookie recipe? Check out Brownie Brittle’s Heath ice cream cookie sandwich recipe.
Brownie Brittle Milkshake
Are you a fan of Oreo milkshakes? Give this recipe a try.
- 1 large scoop of vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup of Chocolate Chip Brownie Brittle
- ¼ cup of milk
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup to drizzle
- Add your ice cream, milk, and Brittle to a blender.
- Blend until your desired consistency. If you need to, add a little more milk and blend further. (You can add more chocolate chips to increase the rich brownie taste.)
- Pour your milkshake into a glass and top with whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, and additional Brittle if you desire.
You can also make this recipe with chocolate ice cream for a chocolate milkshake or use other varieties of Brownie Brittle, such as caramel.
Salted Caramel Brownie Brittle Brownies
How do you make a brownie even more brownie-like? By adding Brownie Brittle!
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ½ cup of flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ⅓ cup of Salted Caramel Brownie Brittle, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your square pan by greasing it with butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix your butter and sugar.
- Add your cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add your eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- Next, stir in your flour and salt until combined. Don’t overmix the Brittle batter!
- Fold in your Salted Caramel Brownie Brittle with a spatula.
- Spread mixture in your pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the center is slightly set.
- Cool your brownies completely, then cut them into nine squares.
You can have fun with this recipe. Add more Brittle or other ingredients to suit your taste. For example, leave out the cocoa powder and try making blondies!
The Verdict: Brownie Brittle Better Than Brownies?
Of course, nothing can replace the warm, gooey, crispy combination of freshly baked brownies. That said, Brownie Brittle is a delicious treat that gives you the best part of the brownie and is versatile enough to be made into other treats.
Try out some of these recipes to see what you can create!